Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Royalties? What Royalties?

Way back in November 2007 I had written a blog post on artists' royalties. This is the post http://rupertcefaiblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/of-royalties.html. In a nut shell, in 2006 the government issued a legal notice  (LN174 of 2006), to implement European Directive 2001/84/EC which gives artists the right to royalties when their art is re-sold from art galleries or the like. Next year, this right should be extended to the artist's heirs.

I tried to make some research on how the system is being regulated and implemented but no one seems to know what's going on. Maybe I have just asked the wrong people but those I asked don't even know of the legal notice let alone how its working. There should also be some 'collecting society' in operation but until now, I talked to no one that knows that it exists. I find this so depressing.

So, if any of you out there, heard anything about it, know if auction houses are collecting royalties and if there is someone regulating all this, please let me know.

No comments: